Sunday, January 27, 2008

This Bites


Elder McMurdie and I went out to do some more [finding]. There was one house with a ten foot gate! It had a sign on it saying: "beware of dog".
We see hundreds of these a day so I wasn't worried. My companion is terrified of dogs in general. So we both went to the gate and whistled. We tried to get this "dog" to come out. When there wasn't an answer I decided to go in.
I got halfway to the door when I heard heaps of barking coming from around the back of the house. The dog was loose. It came running around the corner barking mad. This has happened before, usually you can just hold still and the dog will stop in front of you. This dog must have been different. The Black Lab came right at me. As soon as I realized the dog wasn't going to stop, I turned to the side quickly. It missed my leg but ripped a small hole in my pants. I was then in a predicament. The dog was now between the gate and me.
I had two options: 1. Fight the dog 2. Try, beyond all hope, to get past the dog and out the gate (that is assuming my "terrified" companion had not already shut the gate on me, it happens all the time).
I chose option two. The dog, after biting me was weeling around to get me again. I do not know how, but I miraculously got past the dog. I ran full on for the gate. My companion was screaming: "hurry up, come on!". I barely squeezed through the gate right as my companion decided to close it. The dog happened to be right on my heels. He got the gate rightfully in the face. My companion calls it a "near death experience". I call it another day of being a missionary

No comments: