Wednesday, January 9, 2008

14 Oct 2007


Missionary work rocks! I love the people in this area. New Plymouth is a wierd place. The people in general are crazy! They say and do wierd things. Just the way they live their lives is so different from what I am used to. It's not just me either. All of the missionaries in the mission that have been to New Plymouth say the people are crazy here. Nevertheless, I love the people tremendously. Their kind nature (however crazy) is wonderful. I have still to have a door SLAMMED in my face. The other missionaries say it only gets better. The members say that if you can make it in New Plymouth, you can make it anywhere in New Zealand. However, this mission is similar to a European Mission, by the way of baptisms. The average baptism rate for missionaries here is 3-5. Not very high. I hope to "Raise the Bar" to the best of my abilities. I am not sure how successful I will be at that, seeing as I have been preceeded by strong, powerful missionaries. I have taught the first lesson countless times already, and given out countless pass-along-cards, and pamphlets. Therefore, the work is going along great! We are still teaching an anglican minister who still has heaps of really hard questions. Some of his questions include: Who is heavenly father's father? Why couldn't Heavenly Father proform the atonement? The bible clearly states that we cannot add to the bible, why was the Book of Mormon necessary? I have been able to slip by with satisfactory answers. He says he MAY get baptised. That is good enough for me, he will probably be baptised soon. :)) We also have two other progressing missionaries, who are progressing well. We have challenged one to get baptised, but says she is still thinking about it. Shifts are coming soon. My trainer is going home tommorow. I am so sad to see such a great missionary go home. He served his two years with great distinction and humility. Elder Fallis will forever be in my memory and my heart. Elder Fallis and I had a scary experience the other day. He and I were riding our bikes down a big hill, when we were about to pass another road. A car who was traveling up the hill, was about to turn into the street we were about to pass. The car and Elder Fallis then collided. Well the car wasn't really travelling that fast at the time. Elder Fallis was going fast. About 35-45 kilometers per hour (25-30 miles per/hr). Which is fast. Elder Fallis walked away with some cuts and bruises. Which is really blessed for flying through the air, and landing on concrete. He is ok now. He is going home in the morning anyway.

No comments: